Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Adam's Sin

So, here's my first post. I think I will make it a treasure hunt. This is a discussion that started in my class a couple of weeks ago and it has had me exploring this for a few weeks now. We were studying the Doctrine of Sin. We came to the part where I stated that we inherited the Sin Nature from Adam. This opened a great discussion. Part of the discussion led down the path that if we inherit something from someone it had to be in their genes, so did God create the sin nature. Of course the response from my whole group was no. But I began to explore this a little more. This is what I determined.

Genesis 1:31 (KJV) 31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

God is Holy. God could not have created anything evil. If one speck of unholiness is found in God, then He is no longer Holy.

To change either of these would be to say that God is the Author of evil, sin and death.

My conclusion is that since God created us with a free will, then we chose to sin through the temptation that Satan set before us. Also that the Sin Nature was not in Adam's genes, but a result of his sin action. Much as the desire to do drugs may not be in the genes of the mother, but once she has tried it and is hooked, it can be passed along to the child.

Now the next question I have started to explore is since Adam had no sin nature, why did he choose to sin? James says (KJV) 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. So if we are drawn away of our own lust, then is that something that God placed in us, and was it a bad thing. I have to go back to the previous statements, that God said that all He created was "Very Good" and that God is Holy. So if lust and any desires that were placed in us had to be good at the beginning. What was the source of Adam's sin. I know that Satan was the tempter and what all he did, but there had to be something in Adam that made him want to sin. I know we have preached and taught that pride was at the heart of this. So was pride a good thing if God created it? Did God create it? Some interesting questions. What do you think?

June 14, 2009

I thought I would add onto this post. As I gave some more thought to this post, I asked myself about the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Since God said everything He created was very good. Them I am left to conclude that this tree was not bad. And since God is not the source of temptations, then this tree must have been created with another purpose. Here is what I think. The tree was put there for Adam and Eve to grow in there walk with God, and to Honor God. As we say yes to God and obeying Him we grow in our Christian walk. I don't look at it as saying no to sin, but as saying yes to God. Also, how do we show honor, respect and love to God. By obeying Him. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Darrell I have enjoyed your comments on my blog. I also enjoyed your first blog. The issue of the doctrine of sin and the sin nature of man is a very complex issue. Total depravity is something that has to be brought into the discussion. Pride in a totally depraved person is not a good thing. Pride goeth before the fall, the bible says. If it weren't for our sin nature then pride would be kept in check.

    About Paschal's arguments you will find them interesting but not without their weaknesses.

    I look forward to discussing things with you more. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chad and I have enjoyed reading yours. I have considered the total depravity of man, if this is the case he would have had to become depraved before the fall and after he was created perfect. This is a possibility. It could fit in with:

    James 1:15 (KJV)
    15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

    Since we don't know how long from the time of creation to the time of the fall, this might be a possibility. I will have to mull this one over.

    This is kinda like your "Jacob wrestling" Post.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.