Friday, February 1, 2013

The Bagpiper and the Funeral

The Bagpiper and the Funeral
 As a bagpiper, I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave-side service for a homeless man with no family or friends. The funeral was to be held at a cemetery in the Oklahoma back country. As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the backhoe and the crew. The funeral guy had evidently gone, as the diggers were eating lunch and the hearse was nowhere in sight. I felt badly about this. I apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down. The vault lid was already in place. I started to play and the workers gathered around. I played out my heart and soul for this homeless man. And as I played Amazing Grace, the workers began to weep. I played like I'd never played before.. Then I finished and started for my car. As I was opened the door, I heard one of the workers say, "Man that was really moving, I ain't never seen nothin' like that before." "And I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.