Monday, May 31, 2010

Lance Cpl. Jon Eric Bowman


This is a repost about one of my heros that I think is appropriate for today and is my Memorial Day tribute to a fallen hero.

I meant to post this earlier, but my work seems to have taken on a life of its own, and I haven't had much time to tend to my blog. On October 9th, 2006, while he was in Iraq, I lost a good friend and someone I considered as one of my sons. Jon Eric had been good friends with my son and had dated my daughter for a time. I had the privelidge to coach him in summer baseball and had many heart to hearts over the years. He was an amazing young man. Since I had served in the military, he would come and ask me questions about it and after he was in the marines he would come by when he was on leave to talk about military life and other things. It was one of those things we had in common, although I had served in the Air Force. But I think one of the most important things we discussed was his salvation. I truly believe he was saved, because I can really grill someone about it, because I want to make sure. This can be a comfort to parents to know that there loved ones are in heaven. But I also believe his death was not in vain. On Wednesday we had his funeral. That night in my class we discussed heaven and that Jon Eric was there and to of my boys made decisions to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. So even in death, new life is born. Thank you Jon Eric for your life.

2 comments:

  1. Darrell, what a tragedy for one so young to be taken. It is also amazing that his life influenced the lives of others for years to come. God bless his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, you are right, he was a great kid.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.