Sunday, May 9, 2010

To My Mother on Mother's Day


I am lucky to still have both my mother and father still alive and still in rather good health, both physically and mentally. Momma was an old country girl. Her parents lived a rather modest lifestyle. Grandaddy had his own mechanic shop at his house. A one man mechanic show. They had a garden and hunted and fished for a lot of their food. The raised hogs and killed and put them up for meat. They had a couple of cows from time to time. They were very frugal and momma would stretch a penny. Something she learned from those years with her parents. Momma could sew and had to to keep us 3 boys and 1 girl in clothes. She would get material and make us boys shirts and my sister dresses. She could sew a quilt, even up to now she still tries to do a little, but her hands are getting so that she has a hard time. She still gets in the truck and goes down to the pond to fish. She was just telling me today that she caught some catfish out of our pond and they weren't mudcat. We can only guess that a crane flew in with fish eggs on its feet and deposited them. Momma had to be strong. Daddy would work offshore a week on and a week off. That left us 3 boys against her. All we had to do was look at our sister wrong and the cry would ring out and here came the belt or whatever was needed. Momma carted us boys and our friends around to baseball games. And she never complained. I remember momma sitting me down and showing me the biology, if you get my drift. But what stuck with me was when I started dating she said, "I better not hear of you mistreating a girl." And she wasn't talking about being abusive. Those words haunted me whenever I was alone with a girl. Thanks, momma. God gave me the right Momma to raise me. God places us in our families, we don't choose them. Thank you God for my Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.