Sunday, February 21, 2010

Old Alabama Methodist Church


I thought I would post this picture of the Old Alabama Methodist Church here in Weldon I took after it snowed last week. It was built in 1895. Weldon Baptist Church was built next door to it years later and from the best I could gather the congregations would have a service at one church one week and the other the next week. Later they mostly ended up at the baptist church and the Methodist church shut down. It is now on the national historic registry. I know of 3 weddings that occurred there since 1980. My first wedding happened there in June of 1980. It was HOT. There was not Air Conditioning in the building. One clear light bulb hung from a twisted cord from a very high ceiling. My daughter had better sense as she held her wedding there later in the year when it was not a hundred degrees outside a couple of years ago. Another wedding occurred there a few years back. But I don't know who it was. It is a beautiful historic building. You can find a little more information about it at this site. http://www.bernicela.org/community_history.htm But I just wanted to post this picture that you won't see very often in the south with the snow.

2 comments:

  1. 114 years old. Not hard to imagine people arriving in horses and buggies for church. That is a beautiful image in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some pictures of the inside. Maybe one day I will scan some of them in and post them. We grew up just over the hill from there and would play around and inside of it as kids.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.