Sunday, April 4, 2010

Can the Critics prove the Resurrection?


Happy Easter. This is the resurrection morning when the tomb was found empty. I wanted to share just a brief portion of an article that can be found at - http://blog.soundrezn.com/2009/08/13/using-critics-to-prove-the-resurrection/ - Critics have been saying for years that the resurrection never occurred. But here are some details that 95% of them agree on.

  1. Jesus died by crucifixion.
  2. Jesus was buried.
  3. Jesus’ death caused the Disciples to despair and lose hope.
  4. Jesus’ tomb was discovered (or claimed to be discovered) to be empty a few days later.
  5. The Disciples believed they experienced appearances of the risen Jesus.
  6. After this the Disciples were transformed from doubters into bold believers.
  7. Jesus’ resurrection was the center of preaching in the early Church.
  8. Jesus’ resurrection was preached in Jerusalem.
  9. As a result of this preaching, the Church was born and it grew.
  10. Resurrection day, Sunday, replaced the Sabbath (Saturday) as the primary day of worship.
  11. James, a skeptic, was converted when he also believed that he saw the resurrected Jesus.
  12. Paul, a violent enemy of Christianity, was converted by an experience which he believed to be an appearance of the risen Jesus.
  13. This is one I have added. The disciples did not get rich and the reward for all but one of them was to die because of what they were preaching. If they knew it were false then it seems at least one of them would have said so, to save his own skin.
Take these above and draw your own conclusion about whether there is enough evidence to support the resurrection. Have a blessed Easter day.

2 comments:

  1. Darrell, a happy and blessed Easter to you and yours!

    Not that I ever needed any proof of the resurrection of Christ...but...

    I do not believe that any sane human would die for something he knows to be a lie. Certainly, men die all the time for what they believe to be the truth (even if it is not). But, it would be so rare to find a man die for what he knows to be a lie.

    I know I would not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, I have never doubted the resurrection either, but I was asked the question why I believed it and I went "Well ugh, that's what I been told." You know that is just not enough. As I have studied to be able to answer some of the questions as to why I believe these things, not just because the preacher and sunday school teachers and parents say it's so, my faith has gotten deeper and I can appreciate the my beliefs more. You have a blessed Easter too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.