Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Our Amish Trip


Well we had a good time in Pennsylvania last week. We stayed in Hershey Pa, and I will say more about that on another post. I did want to talk about our visit to the Amish country. We ended up visiting on 2 separate days and that really worked out well. The first day we drove into Lancaster and went to a Mennonite information center where we could hire a guide to ride with us and give us a personal tour of the area for $44 for just my family. I thought that was money well spent. We scheduled and paid for the guide and found out that it would me a Mennonite woman. While we waited we went downstairs and watched a video that basically outlined the differences and similarities between the Amish and the Mennonites. What we found out was that they come from the same groups that came out of Switzerland years ago and settled in this area. So their beliefs are pretty much the same. The big difference would be that the Amish decided to pull back from society and live the life without being connected to the world. The Mennonites decided to go out into the world. They drive in cars, have electricity, phones and get a higher than 8th grade education and work in jobs like us. She told us to look for homes with clothes on the line and green rollup shades. There were some big farms, where whole families lived. Marriages would occur in November. Kids went to one room schools. And there were plenty of them. There were outhouses at the schools and of course no electricity. We got a look at one of the farms where there was a store where they would bring their quilts and other things they would make and sell it. For those who would like to know, the cheapest quilt I saw was $650. The lights were propane powered. A pipe run through and a couple of mantles, like you would find in a propane lantern would be hanging ready to be lit. I saw a fan that was powered with compressed air. The mules they used were the biggest I had ever seen. And I have been around a few. They were allowed to have a tractor for major heavy work close by the house and they could not have inflated tires. Just hard wheels. The mules were used to plow and other things in the field. Horses were used to pull their buggies. The horses were used race horses. The buggies started around $7000. The mowers were the push mowers that have the blade that move when you pushed it.

The next day we went into the town of Intercourse and we went to a pretzel factory before heading back out of town to take a buggy ride tour. This time we got a young man that was maybe 18 or 19, at least I thought so, with a ear ring. He was really nice. As we got down the road a ways, he asked if we thought he was Amish. We all said no. He asked why. Well it was obvious, he didn't look Amish. He didn't have the clothes. He had that thing in his ear. He didn't have the beard. Now here is where I was reminded of something I had forgotten. Only the married men wear beards. Why? It is better than a ring. You can slip that ring off and back on without anyone knowing. It don't work that way with the beard. So it is harder to get away with infidelity. It turns out he grew up Amish and at the age of 14 he decided he would not join the church. I think if I remember that by the age of 16 you had to decide to join or not. I may be wrong about the age. But by age of 16 his dad had asked him to leave because of the way he was living. He moved out and got his high school education and was planning to go to vet school. He says they are on good terms now. He plans on getting his education and coming back to take care of their animals. Here is an interesting thing. If he had joined the church and left, he would be ostracized. But since he didn't join the church he would be accepted. But if he decides to join the church later, he could not work as a vet. He would have to set aside his schooling he got. Because it is from the world. From the world.... They do not have any wires connected to their homes because that would make them directly connect to the world. No wires coming in from the world. So this means they could have lights run off a generator or other source, from their farm. We did see some solar panels. We saw a few little houses, about the size of a large outhouse just outside their homes with a wire coming into it. It was where their phone was. Notice it didn't come into their house. We even saw some using the phone. Something we found out from this young man was that many have cell phones now. Note, no lines are used to get the signal into the house. They are a close knit community and help each other. They will hold church at each others homes, I think every other Sunday. So you may host it once a year or so. The preaching is done in English, but the bible reading is done in a high German dialect. And apparently this is a third language they learn the year after the 8th grade. They are exempt from the mandate of having to purchase health insurance under the new health care bill. They do have a particular problem that is a genetic problem from marrying people in such a close community. You are marrying your cousins basically and outside genes are not coming in. So they have some unique problems there. All in all it looked like a life without the things of the world being right in front of you all the time. It is a slower paced life, but a more physically demanding work than many of us have gotten accustomed to. But their lifestyle is to separate themselves from the world and things that separate them from God. I think it would be good for us all to find things that are distracting us from God and get rid of them. God bless.

9 comments:

  1. Darrell, that is an amazing account and very interesting. I have always been fascinated with the Amish, they are so committed to their beliefs. Thank you for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darrell, that is very interesting. I really never have studied the Amish much, but lived near a Mennonite community once. I appreciate the info. I would have never thought about the beards, or being able to come back after leaving.

    Thanks again, man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really had a good time and learned a lot. I knew a maintenance man around here that we did some work for some years ago and knew that he was Mennonite, but didn't know they were connected to the Amish. I saw some men in the Amish clothes and beards before I got out of Virginia and I mentioned it to our first guide. She said they were probably Mennonite, because some of the more conservative Mennonites still wear the same clothes and beards. The Amish appear to be mostly real conservative. But there is a range of conservative to liberal Mennonites just as there are a range of conservative to liberal Baptists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darrell, the Mennonite community that I lived near were in Farmington, New Mexico.

    They had established businesses. A publishing company, a cannery, and built the very best storage houses available in the "Four Corners." The first time I ever really met a Mennonite was when a whole group of men showed up to deliver one of their storage buildings to my neighbor.

    They all had beards, were wearing overalls, and laughed easily...

    The next time I met a Mennonite was when I was setting up a manufacturing plant in Tijuana. I was staying at a motel in San Ysidro, CA, and this extremely tall, very friendly guy in overalls and I were sitting in the lobby waiting for a shuttle to the border down to TJ.

    We struck up a conversation (hard to believe, I know). He was there to finish getting his teeth fixed in Tijuana. He showed me his choppers...fabulous white teeth to be sure. And, he told me that he was from NE Colorado. The dental work he was having done in TJ cost him a total of $1500. He said that if he'd had it done in CO it would have been about 20 grand!

    Thrifty folks, those Mennonites!

    As a side note, there were some Amish folks staying at the same motel. My new-found Mennonite friend pointed them out to me. Of course, it wasn't all that hard to identify them. The old ladies were wearing long dresses...the men were in the black suits...and there was this extremely cute little boy (probably about 7 years old in his little suit with a big straw hat on...wish I'd had a camera).

    They were catching the shuttle from the motel to the "beaches." Nyuk! I guess they'd never seen the ocean.

    I'm not much of a "religion" guy myself. I grew up in a "religion," and actually plied the trade myself for a while. But, it got "stale"...EXTREMELY LONG STORIES that I won't bore you with.

    When I see rigid lifestyles imposed (regardless of the result...good or ill) it seems to me to diminish the sacrifice of Jesus. But, that's just me.

    Not to mention the rigid Muslims! Oh man...RULZ, RULZ, AND MO' RULZ!!!

    Not that I'm against rules...oh man, too much to write in a comment...

    Sorry for clogging up your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andy, your comments, no matter how long are always welcome here. It ain't like I am overrun with trafic LOL if you wanted to tell the stories, I would be interested. If you would rather, you could email me. I do have some opinions on the rigid strict legalism of religion. Imagine that, me with an opinion lol. You plied the trade? I really would love to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I may do a post on the subject of rigid religion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darrell, I would be interested to read your take on "rigid religion." I am always interested in the thoughts of others on the subject.

    Yes, I was once a preacher. I was an Assemblies of God Pastor that served a congregation in Natchitoches. (Some of the finest folks in these hyar' United States).

    At age 31, I moved my family to the Southern Ute Indian Reservation in Ignacio, Colorado (near Durango, CO), where we worked to establish a mission church. The work with the Indians was, shall I say...less than fruitful.

    But, we were blessed by God with many Anglo, and Spanish (not Mexican..."Spanish"...they'll take offense if you lump them in with Mexicans) fellow believers that became a part of our little fellowship. It eventually grew into quite possibly the tightest, most loving fellowship of believers I've ever seen.

    It was truly approaching true "New Testament" church stuff. Meeting from house to house...one brother looking out for the other...one sister picking up the slack for the other when ill. Oh, I know it happens everywhere...but it was really COOL to be in the mix of something I had not really ever experienced. (We used electricity, and TVs & cars & junk...but, we did meet at a Grange Hall for a while with an outhouse).

    As a Pastor, I was humbled to learn more from the "body" than I could possibly ever teach them. It was as close as I've ever been to Christ, and to His people. Our church services evolved to the point that we would worship with music...it could go on for an hour or two, until we felt like we had given Him all we could. Then, I would deliver a small teaching from The Word...open up the input from the body...like "so, what has God been teaching you this week?" The fellowship would often just weep, sob, share their deepest hurts, struggles, etc. with the others. Sometimes that would go on for hours. And, nobody ever left...almost always, one brother or sister would have a word from the Holy Ghost that would meet the need, or provide correct instruction.

    It has been 14 years since we moved back to Louisiana. I still count my "church family" there as my closest friends...still communicate with many dozens of them. I've done a few posts about some of them.

    I had grandiose dreams of "breaking the mold" that so many churches have been set into. Did we? Yeah...in a couple of ways we did. But, in many ways we failed. Looooooooong stories...

    So, yeah...I was a preacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't sound like you were a failure there. You never know who you might have touched that will impact the future of that community. We all have failures in our lives. But we don't stop trying. We will win the war in the end. You already know that God promised that. Pastoring is in my opinion the toughest job around. It is filled with more heartaches and joys. You are constantly being attacked by Satan and his minions (people). But you keep doing what God has showed you to be right. Loving others and trying to encourage them to love the Lord their God with all their hearts, soul, mind and strength. You, keep serving Him in whatever capacity you can. Don't give up. God's love for us is not based upon what we do for Him, whether we fail or not. God's love for us is based upon who He is. God, Infinite. He loves you with an infinite love because He is Infinite. His love for you never changes. Satan attacks and tells us we are failures. He tells us that God is not pleased with us. He tells us we can't serve Him anymore. Don't believe Satan's lies. I don't mind the Loooooooong stories. You can post them here or you can email them to me in private. I do keep things private. I hope I can be an encourager to you in the future. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darrell, thank you for the kind words of encouragement. And please don't get the impression that I think that time in my life was a failure in any way.

    We NEVER FAIL when we obey God. One of the most outstanding "pure evangelists" of our time, Raymond Comfort told me once "Never be disappointed if you do not see fruit. And, never be 'heady' if you do. If you reap, it is ONLY because someone before you has planted. And, someone before you has watered. So, go plant...go water...knowing that in the end there will be a great harvest."

    I hope I didn't give the impression of frustration over our time in ministry. It was without a doubt the most fulfilling time of my life. And, it was truly a joy to awake each day to what God had in store.

    We did see fruit...but only because others had come before. We did a lot more planting and watering than harvesting...but each day was sweeter than the last. For me, at least.

    You talk about the Pastoral work as being hard. I dunno...It's not hard at all on Brother Pastor (at least it wasn't for me). But...Mrs. Pastor, and Pastor's kids...yep! One great memory I have is my beloved wife of now 31 years telling me, "Well, it's a lot easier to show up when you're the star of the show!"

    THAT, MY FRIEND, HIT ME HARD...LIKE A TON OF BRICKS! From that point on, I truly looked deep within my self...humbled myself more fully at The Cross, and did my best to get ME out of the way and make sure that Christ was "the star of the show" in everything our church did.

    Did it happen? Oh yeah! He took over, and as I said, it was one of the most incredible things I've ever been a part of.

    Actually, our little fellowship of about 100 believers morphed into probably the largest church in the Four Corners after I left. Here is their website...the young Pastor you see is actually the son of the fellow that came behind me and took up the work. http://www.pinevalleychurch.com/

    I'm a planter. Obviously.

    Another brother came along "just obeying God," (Scott's Daddy) and was able to take the fruit and turn 'em into farmers. So, it's all good! The Master of the vineyard gives us our task. We do it...sometimes not all that well, but as best we can. And, God provides the increase.

    Even though I personally would have wanted the work to remain more non-traditional...I'm not gonna question God as to what He had in mind. Thousands have been enriched by those little seeds, and drops of water. So, who am I to question? NOBODY! Nyuk!

    As to worrying about spouting all this publicly...thanks for the forum. I've got nothing that needs to be held private, but I truly appreciate the offer. I am almost positive that you've got many others that confide in you privately. I can tell...it takes one to know one.

    It's a curse! Nyuk! And an unmatched blessing...

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.