Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Desire of Thine Heart

Psalms 37, what a chapter! I heard a sermon on it this week and have been hooked on it all week. There is a lot in this chapter, but I just wanted to focus on one verse. I hope it speaks to you as much as it speaks to me. I can't help it, I probably will have to post more on the rest of the chapter.


Psalms 37:4 (KJV) 4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Delight thyself also in the LORD? As I gave this some thought I asked myself what does it mean to delight myself in something. What are some things I can delight myself in? Can I delight myself in a swimming pool? Yes. Can I delight myself in fried chicken? Yes. Can I delight myself in my family? Yes. Can I delight myself in a good book? Yes. Can I delight myself in a good relationship? Yes. So there are some things I can delight myself in, but how do I delight myself in them? Can I delight myself in a swimming pool without jumping in? No. Can I delight myself in fried chicken without eating it? No. Can I delight myself in my family without being involved and engaged with them? No. Can I delight myself in a good book without reading it? No. Can I delight myself with a good relationship without being in it? No. We cannot delight ourselves in the LORD without being in the LORD. (SAVED) We cannot delight ourselves in the LORD without tasting Him. We cannot delight ourselves in the LORD without being a part of His family. We cannot delight ourselves in the LORD without a relationship that is void of known sin. In a previous post I talked about being obsessed with God. We should be obsessed with our relationship with God. Delight yourselves with the LORD.

With who? The LORD. Our Creator, Sustainer, Saviour. He is Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent. He is Immutable, Self Sufficient, Self Sustaining, Infinite. He is outside of creation. He could not be a part of creation if He created it. Shall I go on?

The desires of thine heart. What are the desires of your heart? There are wants and needs. I believe this word desires points to needs. We think we know what we need, but do we really know the difference? Let me give you an example. A young teen is giving the parents fits. We may pray, Lord please if they would just stop the relationship with this person, that would solve everything. Is that the prayer we want Him to answer? So the teen gets out of that relationship, problem solved right? Then the teen is back into another bad relationship. So now you pray LORD the child is yours, however you see fit to take care of this, do it. Then one day the teen comes to you while you are at the altar and says, "Daddy, I don't think I am saved. I want to be saved, would you help me?" And you lead this teen to Jesus. What was the desire of your heart. What we didn't know was that really the desire of our heart was for them to get saved. We don't always know the desire of our heart. Delight yourself in the LORD and let Him determine what the desire of your heart is, and sit back and see Him work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.