Monday, March 8, 2010

When The Unplanned Happens


Well I just got back from the hospital. My wife is spending a second night there and since my daughter is spending the night at her Grandma's the house is quiet and empty. So I have the TV on in the background playing Contemporary Christian music. You know Saturday we had our plans for the week. Sunday morning my wife wasn't feeling well, but decided to go to church. She didn't feel up to going to my parents house for lunch and just wanted to sleep. So I left her and Pamela here and went an visited. I had plans to teach at church that evening. But plans were about to change. My wife, Jerri, decided she needed relief from some pain. When she says she needs to go to the emergency room, it is time. They ended up admitting her and doing tests. Tonight she is still there. But my point is, you never know what is going to happen in the next couple of minutes. What will that next phone call bring? What will happen on your next drive? What does that next cough mean coming from your child's room. Is it the start of a nightmare? You know, I grew up in a time, that if the phone rang after 10 o'clock at night, it was an emergency. My wife is a nurse and she had a young nurse come to work after working for 3 weeks she was getting sick. She was about 12 weeks pregnant. And she had some flu like symptoms. She ended up at Willis Knighton and a couple days later her oxygen levels dropped, by that night she was at LSU on a ventilator and sedated. Her husband and family were in shock when we arrived. By the next day she was on a heart lung bypass machine. This has been more that 2 weeks, now she has lost the baby and is off the bypass machine and back on the ventilator. And seems to be slowly improving though it is still up and down and day by day. If she continues to improve it will probably take her the rest of the year to recuperate. Some of you have read some of my reports on Wesley Harty. His family was thrown into turmoil in an instance. You know when these things happen, you seem like you are just along for the ride and you have no control over what is going on. A few years ago my world seem to come crashing down in an instant. I really had no control of what was going on. Oh I tried some things, but I was just along for the ride with the doors locked so I couldn't get out. But you know this was my mindset. A few years before this happened, I fell in love with God. He became my strong tower, my support, my strength. Can I say this, if you are truly saved, learn how to lean on God everyday. Almost like a pitcher practices for the day he can enter the game, one day we will enter the game. On this day, I entered the game. And quickly I found that I didn't know what to do. I was lost. The only thing I could think of was to fall before God and cry. If I had not been walking with God, I would have done something stupid. But this was a long ride. I found I could not see 6 inches ahead of me. Darkness had fallen. I found myself wandering around walmart or home depot, since there was only loneliness at home. God was my main friend. I had a good friend who was pastoring a different church but we had served together and I dare say he is still my best friend. I would confide in him and we would pray. But God was my strength. I determined not to abandon Him, I knew He would not abandon me. Even if things didn't work out the way I prayed. One night as I was praying and telling God just how much it hurt, in my spirit I heard Him say, "I know and I love you. Hang on just a little longer." Wow! you see, God was doing a work in my life and wasn't finished. It is just like baking a cake. you don't take it out halfway through the process or you end up with a half baked cake. Yuk!. If I had abandoned the process before He was done, then I would be a half Baked christian and be more danger than good. So I drew closer to Him. I can't say that my prayers were answered in the way I prayed. But God has truly blessed me from that experience for His good and for the good of others. Look, learn to walk with Him now, the Bible says those times will come. When those times come, draw close to Him. He loves you more that you will ever know. Dark times can be the best of times. If you ever need prayer and it is private email me. I don't need to know specifics, I just need to know you need prayer. If you are not sure of your salvation I would be glad to help you find peace through salvation. Oh, and I believe God is in control with my wife's health. God Bless. email address. mygodsbeengood.blogspot@live.com

2 comments:

  1. Darrell, hope your wife is better. This was very well written and very true. We never do know what a day will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim, she came home yesterday. She was about to go stir crazy. She plans to go back to work tomorrow. Interesting thing is she works the floor as a nurse that she was in. So her coworkers were caring for her. Looks like we have some medical issues to tend to next month. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.