Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Are You Ready to Pray?


Are you ready to pray? In an instant we may be called upon to pray. I am not talking about a public prayer for the meal or to dismiss class at church. I am talking about praying for someone in need of prayer NOW. I am constantly running into folks who need prayer NOW. The problem is we need to have our hearts right with God for Him to hear those prayers. Talking with a woman the other day and the conversation turns to something that is breaking her heart, I offer to pray for her. NOW. Another woman I am talking with and the conversation turns to the loss of a loved one. You can hear the anguish in their voice. I offer to pray with her. NOW. I know lots of prayers went out NOW for Maggie Lee Henson and her family after their accident. Last night, I got an email as I got to class, "pray for my husband who is having emergency cancer surgery tomorrow. I do then and after class I call him and pray for him. NOW. About an hour ago we get told about a young neighbor kid who had a 4 wheeler accident and is airlifted to LSU. Pray NOW. The thing is if my heart is not right, then I have to spend time getting my heart right. These people need prayer NOW. These people don't have time to wait for me to get ready to pray. I need to be in a constant state of prayer, so it just comes naturally. Sadly I am not always that way. Be prepared. NOW

2 comments:

  1. Yes many needs should be prayed for right away. On occoasion I've said to folks, I will pray about this, and then afterward I thought to myself, why didn't we pray right then? I dont think there is ever a wrong time to pray. But as you said.... if our hearts aren't in the right place will our prayers be effective?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, thanks for your comment. I had a former pastor that taught me, when that person needs prayer, pray for them right then.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.