Saturday, August 8, 2009

What would your life be like if you gave up.... 2


Well I posted a question previously that asked the question, What would life be life if we gave up a lot of things, such as TV, Games, etc.... I said I would return to this and finish it up. Well a while back we watched a movie called, "Saving Sarah Cain". I listed it one my movie section. Very good movie. Anyways, part of it is based in the Amish country and has a lot of there beliefs in the movie. We are looking at going up there next year. I heard a radio program recently on AFR about a family that took a couple weeks and lived in an Amish community in upper Tennessee. After leaving there, they continued to live in that way. They say their kids are better off for it. Even smarter. Someone gave us some of the Amish friendship bread and my wife made some. Big mistake, it was too good. Can't lose weight with that stuff around. So I jokingly told my 12 year old daughter that since everywhere we turn the Amish life keeps coming up it must be God telling us to live that way. So I told her we were going to live that way. We were going to give up TV, Cell phones (which she does not have), the WII, Nintendo DS, computers. You could have thought the world was about to end. Of course I was only joking and she wasn't really sure, but I assured my family I hadn't lost my mind yet. But it did get me to thinking, What would we do if we didn't have all those electronics. For me, I would hope that I would read my Bible more and spend more time in prayer and walking with God more. Or would I find something else to take up my time. I do plan to cut back on things and try to spend more time with God. I hope you do to. God Bless.
Oh, if you want the recipe for the Amish friendship bread, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for reading Brande's blog. You have a great concept and I would love the bread recipe. I have only reciently let my kids start watching tv, they are 6 & 8 now. My husband says if i dont they will be clueless in conversation, so I limit it to rented movies and nick on sat. Oh, and the thing my husband fought for which is sports. All the sports you can handle. woohoo. My husband Phillip is a teacher and Tech director in Shreveport and i work from home and do a lot of volunteer work. I reciently stopped volunteering for a childrens hospital and signed up with LOPA.ORG because of Brande. I still chair the Golf tournament auction for the Hal Sutton Foundation and deliver teddy bears to hospitals with my boys. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time in TN. tell us all about it.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, thanks for the comments. I do plan to reduce some of the activities that have kept me from more time in the Bible. As I am about to start back into another semester of Bible study curriculum, time becomes more of the essence. Balancing God, family and my business along with ministering to people becomes challenging. Sounds like you and your husband are really involved in your childrens developement. Return here, I plan to post part of a sermon I preached on raising children. I have sent you an email on the Amish Friendship bread. I hope I got the righ email address. We actually plan to go to Pennsylvania Amish Country, but our travels may take us through the Tennessee Amish country. God Bless you and your family. Darrell

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.