Friday, September 18, 2009

An Update from Cotton Valley


Well, here I sit again, in my office, Thursday night after revival. Everyone has finally gone home except me and the Lord. That is when I like to be at the office the most. It's so quite that you could hear a fly belch. Just me and the Lord. I love him so much, and yet, I don't feel as though my love for Him is really adequate to the degree that He deserves. And yet, although my love for the Lord may not be what it really needs to be, I know that His love for me is sufficient; sufficient enough to cover my multitude of sins and to forgive me and to prepare a place for me that defies being described by the human vocabulary. The awesome thing is, is that His love is sufficient for everyone else who would call upon the name of His only begotten Son, Jesus, also. Praise the Lord, for He is worthy to be praised! This was the last night of the revival for the Lisembys; they had to go home and prepare for another revival meeting, which starts Monday night. They were truly wonderful. They lift up and glorify, to the best of our human ability, the name of Jesus, our Lord. They have truly been a blessing for our church and our community. If you ever have a chance to hear them sing, don't let it slip by. Although the Lisembys are going home, the revival is not over. Bro Jack will be back tomorrow night to preach, which is english for "shuck the corn," and his son, David, will be here to do the singing. With the way that the Holy Spirit is moving we, me, our deacons, and Bro Jack, just felt like we couldn't stop just yet. So, we are going to take it one night at a time. We may extend it through Saturday. Only the Lord knows. All that I know is this; I am going to grab onto the hem of Jesus' garment and never let go. I know that numbers are not as important as a person's soul, but numbers helps us to understand how the Lord is working. We had 6 more souls snatched out of the fires of hell tonight when thoses 6 accepted Jesus as their Master, their Lord, and their Savior. The good thing is, is that these are not all teenagers who are getting saved in Cotton Valley. This is not just a revival built around the emotions of teenagers who feel the tug of the Holy Spirit. Grown people, men and women, are getting saved. Entire families are trusting Jesus as their Savior. Out of the 39 lost souls, who have trusted Jesus so far this week, about 50% of them are grown-ups. Praise the Lord!!!!!! Isn't God awesome? Please pray for me and for Unity Baptist Church. As a whole we have grown by about 30% this week. We are going to need to restructure our Sunday school and discipleship training to include new classes. We are going to need more space. We are going to need more teachers. We are going to need wisdom. The Lord impressed upon me today that the REAL work was just fixing to get started. We have follow-up visits to make and parents to see and more lost souls to lead to Jesus. We probably need to bring on a youth minister as a paid staff position to help us minister to our youth who, by the way, probably grew by 60% this week. And, it's not over yet. God is not through in Cotton Valley. Please; I covet your prayers. As the pastor, I need wisdom, I need knowledge, and I need strength to be the leader that God wants me to be. I also need boldness to preach the truth and to never compromise the Word of God. I'll be honest with all of you; if it wasn't for the truth, found in the Word of God, I'd be scared to death right now; scared that I wasn't the preacher, teacher, and pastor to "get er done" at Unity Baptist Church. But, you see, the Lord promised us that His grace was sufficient in all things. That means that He can even help this fledgling pastor know what to do if I will trust Him. And, I will tell you one thing right now, all that I have to give Him is myself, my trust, and my faith. A slave to the Master, Lavelle Spillers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.