Thursday, September 10, 2009

Where Were you on 911?


Where were you? Many events in history has had this question asked. I think most people until this time were asked this about the assasination of John Kennedy. I place events in perspective with where I was when it happened. When Ronald Reagan was shot I was at the barracks at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska. I remember the first space shuttle explosion, I was working in the computer center at Kelly AFB. The second shuttle accident I was at home back here. I remember going outside and checking the sky, because as the shuttle path goes, we are not that far off. But the 911 terror attacks were the worst in my lifetime so far. I just happened to have flown out of Little Rock the day before to Kansas City. So on the day of the attacks, I was sitting in class and at one point someone came in to let us know what had happened and gave us a chance to contact our offices. I remember thinking, 1. is this the second coming and did I miss it, though I was certain I wasn't because I had given my life to Jesus earlier in the year. 2. Is the internet still up, this would let me know the extent of the attack. 3. Since the planes were grounded how do I get home? 4. What was going to be the impact on the economy, communications and other things. 5. Now those were my first thoughts cause all I knew at first was a couple planes had hit a building. Had I known the extent of the attacks and the cost to life my thoughts would have been different. 6. And of course my thoughts turned to the safety of my family. Who were back home. My main concern was for my daughter since she was going to La. Tech at the time and knew that would be a good target. I was relieved to find her at home on that day. What are your memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.