Monday, July 20, 2009

Apollo 11


I remember as a small child sitting at my granddad's house at Christmas time glued to the black and white tv as the apollo mission flew around the moon. I was thinking WOW. As I watched those Apollo rockets take off from Cape Canaveral and thinking how massive and powerful they looked. I remember being back at my grandads house watching the landing of Apollo 11. Again WOW. I was hooked. Then more missions to the moon. Then Apollo 13. I remember someone saying the Russians shot the spacecraft, of course that wasn't true. We were in a race to beat them to put the first man on the moon. I don't think they ever put a man on the moon. Then we put first tire tracks on the moon. Then we left it parked there. Left the keys in it and the top down. Then we stopped going. Then came the Skylab with the tin foil to keep it from getting to hot. Just like a trailor park trailor with the tin foil in the windows. Then came the space shuttle missions. I remember where I was when both disasters occured. I remember being in San Antonio Tx at Wilford Hall Medical Center the first time I saw one fly in piggyback on a 747. What a site. Last year I got to visit the space center in Florida. Again WOW. To see history and the places I had only seen on TV. The Saturn V rocket was bigger than I had imagined. We went into the launch contol room for the Apollo mission. They simulated what it would be like inside the control room during liftoff. It rattled and shook. The noise was deafening. One of the first astronauts on the first Saturn V rocket said the power and force of the Saturn V was so unexpected that he thought he had brought the farm. As powerful as this rocket was and the success of our space program, it is not even a drop in the bucket compared to that of God. Just imagine creating from nothing time, space and matter in an instant. And one day will bring all this to a conclusion. But in the meantime he continues to work in and through His creation to bring us into a personal and intimate relationship with Him. I try reserve this one word for God only. "AWESOME"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.