Sunday, July 12, 2009

Be of a Good Reputation

I went to preach last weekend at a church that was an older church as a congregation goes. As I walked in, I didn't know a soul, but my wife and I love to go to churches like that. We always drop in to church when we are on vacation, (Sunday morning and night). People are always surprised to see us on Sunday night, especially when we did it on our honeymoon. Drop in on the Wednesday night service and you really surprise people. Anyways, as I didn't know them, they knew "my dad". Though they only really knew him from many years ago. They all had good memories of him. As I stood to preach, I said it was easier to preach knowing they had good memories of my dad. Had they not, had he done some of them wrong, or done something illegal, then the crowds opinion of me might have been different or even possibly hostile and not willing to listen to the message. Thank you daddy for your reputation. Which brings to mind, how do others see us? How have we treated others? Have you ever tried to witness to someone who has been wronged by a christian? Or witnessed to someone who has seen the bad side of Christianity? How about trying to invite someone to church who has heard about one of our business meetings? It is important that we live the christian life in such a way that we appear blameless in the sight of those around us. We are the Jesus that others will see here. What do we do when others do not walk the way they should and hurt the christian witness of the church. We should continue on and do what we know to be right. Walk blameless before man and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.