Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Real Hero

I spent some time in a hot tub the other night with someone I would call a real hero. He had been in Vietnam and had to escape and evade Viet Cong for 3 days and for 2 of those days carried a dead buddy until he reached safety. Years later he reentered the service during the first Gulf War because experienced infantry were needed and he felt a duty to the younger people in the service to help them. Again in the second Gulf War he reentered service for the same reasons. After a parachute jump that went wrong, he was injured lying flat on his injured back all night in the desert at which point he figured he was going to meet his savior. When he heard people approaching the next day, he figured it was Iraqis, so he pulled the pin on a grenade and was ready to take some with him. Thankfully it was his troops looking for him. I would consider him an American hero, and I believe there are many more just like him in service and out of the service in America today. Those who do what they have to do because it is right and because they do love others.

But my real hero is Jesus. He really did for us what had to be done, because He loved us. John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Born again at 40 in 2001, though I practiced Christianity since I was 13.